HPM LIBRARY & MUSEUM
History and Origin of Library
The name of the college library is Hiranya Probha Memorial Library and Museum donated by Late P.C. Barooah, M.P. and the then president of G.B. in memory of his wife Hiranya Probha which is situated on the Eastern bank of the historically famous Joysagar Tank one of the largest man-made tank standing about 4 (four) kilometers away from Sivasagar town. The scenic beauty and calmness enthrall the visitors and is providing support in building a healthy and prosperous environment since its inception. Although the present infrastructure and status of the Library cum Museum is a matter of envy, its growth to the present state is the result of generous donation of a number of well-wishers of the locality. This building was formally opened by Dr. S. Radhakrishnan, Vice-president of the Union of India on 30th December 1958. This old building was renovated by J.K. Barooah worthy son of original donor in 1999.
The Library building has two parts. The Old part is an Assam type building consists of Reading hall, Stack Area and Teacher’s Reading room. The New Part has a duplex building. The Ground floor of new part consists of Museum and Manuscripts Section, Internet Section, Journal Section, Back volume Section, Newspaper Section, and Reference Section and Circulation section. The First floor consists of Librarian’s room and Rare book Section. The area of the library building is 6600 sq ft. The total seating capacity of the reading room is 250.
The Museum is an integral part of H.P.M. Library and was established along with the library since its inception. The objective of the Museum is to impart educational and culture knowledge to the people.
Materials available in Museum
- Sculpture (Stone)
- Sculpture (metal)
- Dress and ornaments
- Domestic items
- Cannon and Gun Ball
- Bricks of Ahom age
- Copper Plates
- Parts of Palanquin
- Model of different monuments
Library Automation System
HMP library followed close access system earlier and now it follows open access system which reduces the gap between user and books and also save the time of user as well as library staff. The Library used Soul 2.0 (Software for Universities Libraries initiated by INFLIBNET centre) software to digitally automate the library services. Students are allowed to use OPAC system to search the location of library resources.
Library Holdings as on 07/08/2021
- Total Number of Books : 60500
- Total Number of Title :1100
- Total number of periodicals : 25
- Total Number of Newspaper: 17
- Total Number of Manuscripts :104
9 AM to 4 PM
Monday to Saturday
Different Section of Library
- Acquisition Section
- Cataloguing Section
- Circulation Section
- Journal Section
- Reference Section
- Manuscript Section
- Back Volume Section
- Newspaper Section
- Rare Book Section
- MRP Book Section
- There is one Section donated books by prominent Writer, Educationist Padma Shri Imran Shah.
Different Library Services
- Reference Services
- Reservation System
- Current Awareness Services
- Newspaper Clipping Services
- Orientation and information Services
- Photocopying and Printing Services
- Internet Services
- Book Bank Services
- Weeding out system
- Shelf Rectification System
- Shelf room guide system
E-Resources Provided by Library
Open Access E-Database
- The library has 14 Number of Accession Register for Text book and Reference Book.
- The library has 2 Number of Accession Register for Journal.
- There is another accession register for Newspaper.
The visitors of library are allowed to enter and access the library resources by register their name in visitors registers which is kept in the main entry.
- SOUL 2.0
- P-touch Editor 5.0
Policy for Faculty Member
- Faculty Members are allowed to issue maximum 7 books for 30 days.
- They are allowed to reserve maximum 3 books for 5 days.
- A fine of Rs 10 will be charged for each book for each day if they fail to return the book on due date.
- They are allowed to renew books for next 15 days from due date.
- They have to bring the library card to issue their books. (Card will be issued soon)
- No manual issue will be entertained.
- Journal, Periodicals, Newspapers, Reference books and rare books are restricted for issue. They are allowed to issue mentioned library resources to use or read in the library
Policy for Students
- Students are allowed to issue maximum 2 books for 7 days.
- They are allowed to reserve only 1 book for 2 days.
- A fine of Rs 2 will be charged for each book for each day if they fail to return the book on due date.
- They are allowed to renew books for next 7 days from due date.
- They have to bring the library card to issue their books. (Card are issued to student after taking admission)
- No manual issue will be entertained.
- Journal, Periodicals, Newspapers, Reference books and rare books are restricted for issue.
- Students are allowed to read books in reading room by keeping the library card in issue counter.
Policy for Outsiders
- The researchers, students and faculty members from other institutes, children and general public are allowed to enter library by register their name in the entry point.
- They are allowed to access the printed resources for reading.
- They are allowed to Write and Xerox their necessary information from the library.
- No issue will be entrained to outsides.
As we know that with the development of ICT the present environment of any kind of organization has been changed to a remote access global environment. Therefore, college library has planned some improvement of library in future keeping in mind of 4th and 5th Law of Library Science which are as follows-
- Installation of RFID Techniques:-RFID means Radio Frequency Identification i.e. the technology that uses radio waves to automatically identify individual’s items.
- Installation of DSpace Software:-DSpace is the software which is used by any kind of organization to build digital repositories.
- Installation of Koha software:-Koha is open library management software which enables the users and faculty members for remote access system.
- Introduction of Green Library Concept:-The concept of Green Library will be helpful for minimize electricity consumption, energy efficient and environment friendly. It is a collective effort of all mankind to make green planet by reducing global warming.
- Introduction of Inter Library Loan Services:-Inter Library loan is a service where a library user of one library can borrow books, DVDs, music, etc and receive photocopies of documents that are owned by another library.
- Planned to build a new building:-As a Librarian have a dream to build a new building to create Newspaper Back volume section, Internet section with 1:10 proportion computers, Teachers’ Reading Room with half cabinet for single person, Children’s corner and some outsourcing services like Canteen, Xerox, Printing and book binding section.
- Expenditure for Softwares:-It will cost around 15 Lakhs to purchase and install mentioned three softwares.
- Expenditure for New Building and Green Library:-35 lakhs (approx)
Copyright © 2022 Sibsagar College